Hi folks. Here are the first batch of 10 question in GMAT Quant. These questions have been prepared by me after working on the GMAT method of testing for almost a year now. Here goes.
1. In a queue, Monica is at the 14th position from the start and 18th position from the last. If Phoebe is at the middle of the queue, what is his position
2. In A years Richard will be B years old. How many years ago was he C years old.
3. Joe traveled at an average speed of 20 miles/hour when going from New York to Detroit. He traveled at an average speed of 30 miles/hour when coming back from Detroit to New York. Find his average speed.
4. Ross has 192 $1 bills with him. It is his job to put each of them into a different bag. If Ross should be able to give out any amount between $1 and $192, what is the minimum number of bags that he should have.
5. Chandler and Joey run around Central Park (which happens to be a perfect circle of length 335 meters) in the same direction. Joey runs faster than Chandler. When they meet for the first time after starting, what is that extra distance that Joey would have covered over Chandler.
6. What is the area of the quadrilateral whose co-ordinates are (2,-2), (2,6), (15,2), (15,-4)
7. Chandler and Joey run around Central Park (which happens to be a perfect circle) in opposite directions. The ratios of their speeds are 1:3. Chandler, who knew about their speeds, says to Joey that they will meet at only 2 distinct points, even if they keep running till the next day. Joey laughs at Chandler and says that Chandler is wrong. Who is right, Joey or Chandler?
8. Rachael got 210 marks in an exam and ended up getting 300/11 percent more than the actual pass mark required. What is the minimum mark that Monica should aim at, in oder to at least clear the exam.
9. Ross leaves to meet Ben at exactly 4 PM. When he comes back, he notices that the hands of the clock are exactly 180 degrees apart. How long was Ross with Ben?
10. Joey likes to slice his pizza into into identical pieces before eating it. Just as he finishes slicing it, Chandler walks in and asks for 3/4ths of the pizza. Just as Chandler and Joey are about to eat their shares, Ross walks in and asks for 2/3 rds of Chandler’s share and 1/2 of Joey’s share. But Chandler gives Ross only 3/4 ths of what Ross asks and Joey gives what ever Ross asks. What is the share of the total pizza that Ross eats.
2. B – A – C
3. 24 miles/hour. Not 25 miles/hour..!!
4. 8 - (2^0,2^1, 2^2… 2^7 dollars in each bag.)
5. 335 meters.
6. 91 sq. units
7. Chandler is right. They meet at only 2 distinct points even if they keep running for ever. The first point is the start and the second point is 180 degrees opposite to the first one.
9. 54 6/11 minutes
10. Ross eats one half of the pizza.
If anyone needs an explanation for any of the problems above. Drop in a comment. Will be happy to help. See you with the next batch of problems tomorrow.